Going to Kellogg School reunion on April 27, didn’t know Dipak Jain now is at INSEAD as dean, having moved on from Northwestern University.

…dean’s house at Insead business school in Fontainebleau …. When Dipak Jain took up the post just a year ago, it was a massive upheaval for his family as well as for himself. After more than 30 years in the US, the Indian-born dean is now living and working on a third continent with his wife and younger daughter.  [….]

[….]  The most time-consuming part of his job is a punishing travel schedule – the penalty professors have to pay for working for a business school with three campuses: in France, Abu Dhabi and Singapore. “My time clock is US to Singapore, which is 14 hours. Sometimes I go to Singapore for just one day. I live on the plane.”

In his second year at Insead, Jain plans to cut back on travel while spending longer on the campus in Singapore, which should, in the long term, allow him more time at home in Fontainebleau. [….]

The house is very different from the modern brick townhouse in Evanston, Illinois, where the Jain family lived for 22 years when Jain worked at the Kellogg school. But the two houses do have one thing in common: both are a five-minute walk from campus.

In spite of living in the US for 30 years, Jain admits that he has never learnt to drive. During the four years he was studying for his PhD at the University of Texas, he got round the problem by offering to help his fellow students with the more technical elements of their studies in return for a ride home.

His appointment as dean of Insead, which is consistently ranked as one of the world’s top business schools, was almost as complex. “I committed to one interview and I had to meet 43 people,” he laughs. “The more I interviewed the more I got a view of the school. It has a unique culture, so different, I jokingly say that every section of the [MBA] class is like the United Nations.”

On first contact with the governors at Insead, Jain felt things did not go well. In fact, he felt they were looking for a European to head the school. But the professors there took a different view. Insead is set up as an association rather than a not-for-profit or charity, like most universities and business schools. That means that the search committee for the new dean has to make its recommendations to the faculty, for their approval.

Then, the faculty recommend the candidate to the board of governors, who makes the appointment. In the end, 80 per cent of Insead’s 144 faculty members voted for Jain, the remaining 20 per cent objecting to not having multiple candidates to choose between, says the dean.

I was surprised to see this article, as I picked up the Financial Times in the Frankfurt Airport. I don’t normally read FT.

At home: Dipak Jain | Della Bradshaw | April 7, 2011 | Financial Times at http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/9341d154-798a-11e1-8fad-00144feab49a.html#axzz1rNKz1ypq.
At home: Dipak Jain - FT.com