2013/10/11 13:30 “System design for sustainable energy systems for all: The Learning Network on Sustainable energy systems EU funding project” | Carlo Vezzoli | Relating Systems Thinking & Design 2013
This digest was created in real-time during the meeting, based on the speaker’s presentation(s) and comments from the audience. The content should not be viewed as an official transcript of the meeting, but only as an interpretation by a single individual. Lapses, grammatical errors, and typing mistakes may not have been corrected. Questions about content should be directed to the originator. The digest has been made available for purposes of scholarship by David Ing.
Carlo has been leading LeNS
Not an expert in systems thinking and design
Wasn’t here on the first day, but didn’t heard much about sustainability today
- Could use some more systems thinking on sustainability
One of the working hypotheses for design research
Will talk about:
- Distributed Renewable Energy (DRE): key leverage for sustainable development
- Product-Service System (PSS): promisng model for sustainable development
- PSS design for sustainability: an emerging role (the LeNS approaches)
- Sustainable Product-Service System (S.PSS): a promising model for Distributed Renewal Energy (DRE) — within the new LeNS project
- Hypothesis of System Design for Sustainable Energy for all
Need energy, it’s what moves us
- Energy services
- Energy can contribute to reduce inequality and poverty
U.N.: 2012 was international year of sustainable energy for all
- At Rio+20 conference, stated that sustainability not possible without sustainable energy
Large companies in energy, but they don’t seem to be ones who could bring out sustainable energy
- Renewable and distributed?
Distributed Renewable Energy Generation
- Small scale
- Generation near point of use
- User is the producer: individuals, small business, and/or communities
- If connected with each other, they are part of a Renewal Local Energy Network
- Has environment benefits, socioethical benefits, and economic benefits
- Aims at doubling the share of renewal energy in the global energy mix by 2030
Jeremy Rifkin, talking about the third industrial revolution
- Do we have any business models that decouple from material and energy consumption?
e.g. Ricoh: Pay per page Green
- Pay for number of sheets
- Ricoh deals installs, maintains, collects at end of life
Recognized by UNEP in 2002
- Is the PSS approach be applicable to low / middle income contexts, too?
- Rooted in satisfaction-based economic model
- Stakeholder sustainability potential
Sustainability Design-Orienting Toolkit
Have designed MSDS: Method for System Design for Sustainability
Tango in Milan: proposable for sustainable Product-Service Systems promoting social inclusion and internal generation dialogue in Milan
Sustainable Product-Service System (S.PSS)
Solar Home Kits: TSSFA company offers to Brasilian rural customers hardware to general solar energy, installation service
Open Learning toolkit: downloadable game
[Abstract of talk from http://www.systemic-design.net/]
System design for sustainable energy systems in emerging an low-income contexts.The EU funded LeNS/es projects and its MSDS method.
Abstract: This keynote presents Product-Service System Design for Sustainability as a promising approach to tackle in emerging and low-income contexts the socio-ethical dimension of sustainability together with the environmental and economic ones. Firstly, reasons for applying eco-efficient Produc Service Systems (PSS) innovation in low-income and emerging contexts are highlighted. Secondly, the known model of distributed economy is introduced as a promising characteristic of such eco-efficient Product-Service Systems to address the issue of locally based renewable and sustainable energy systems as the key leverage for a democratisation of access to resources, goods and services. In this framework the EU funded Learning Network on Sustainability (LeNS) project and its Method for System Design for Sustainability (MSDS) are presented.