2015/07/05 10:35 Norihiko Kimura and Takashi Iba, “The Fundamental Behavioral Properties”, Purplsoc
This digest was created in real-time during the meeting, based on the speaker’s presentation(s) and comments from the audience. The content should not be viewed as an official transcript of the meeting, but only as an interpretation by a single individual. Lapses, grammatical errors, and typing mistakes may not have been corrected. Questions about content should be directed to the originator. The digest has been made available for purposes of scholarship, posted by David Ing.
At PURPLSOC (Pursuit of Pattern Languages for Societal Change) 2015, Danube University Krems, Austria
New properties for capturing and relating wholeness
The wholeness of Lively Human Activity
- Have been creating pattern languages on human activity
- Finding wholeness in people’s activities, hard to separate into parts
- Beethoven composed while walking
How can we capture the wholeness?
- In Nature of Order, defines a basic unit of “center”
- Liveliness in centers that activate each other
Beethoven: composing and walking
- Mutual helping centers
Will focus on 3 of 24 properties
1. Bootstrap: Centers that radiate their own energy
- e.g. boy becomes interested in Milky Way from book in library.
- Finding the library is the bootstrap
2. Source: Overwhelmingly strong center
- Social entrepreneur
- Entrepreneur becomes the key source of energy
- Small centers strengthening each other
- e.g. conferences on pattern languages, community
How were Behavioral Properties found?
- Investigated pattern languages
- Alexander says a Pattern Language is a way defining centers
1. Find the mechanism behind the patterns
2. Refining and revising the properties
3. Expressing behavioral properties
What is the usage of behavioral properties?
- Pattern mining
- Pattern writing
Relation between behavioral and Alexander?
- Geometric at a point in time
- Behavioral properties over a series of time
- Alexander talks about color properties in Book 4, essential part of wholeness
- In human activity, emotions are important to create a lively wholeness
Anticipate that can reach a comprehensive theory of wholeness