2015/07/08 10:10 Jeroen Guinée, “Past, Present and Future of Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment”, ISIE, U. Surrey
Plenary talk by Jeroen Guinée, Leiden University at “Taking Stock of Industrial Ecology”, 8th Biennial Conference of the International Society for Industrial Ecology, University of Surrey, Guildford, July 7-10, 2015
This digest was created in real-time during the meeting, based on the speaker’s presentation(s) and comments from the audience. The content should not be viewed as an official transcript of the meeting, but only as an interpretation by a single individual. Lapses, grammatical errors, and typing mistakes may not have been corrected. Questions about content should be directed to the originator. The digest has been made available for purposes of scholarship by David Ing.
Plenary talks for ISIE 2015 are by contributors to an open access volume, Taking Stock of Industrial Ecology, available online as open access e-book from Springer in fall 2015. See the table of contents and the Springer book description.
25 years in Leiden (NL): SimaPro
- What does SimaPro stand for?
LCA: Past, present and Future, Environ Sci Technol 2011 46
- LCA added economic and social analysis
Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment (the book chapter)
- Past: 1987, 2007, conception of LCSA; 2007-2010: debates on what exactly is LCSA?
- Present 2010-2015: trial and error
- Future: 2016-onwards: main challenges
- LCSA from Zhou et al. 2006/2007, where LCSA = LCA + LCC (which they didn’t use through the article), where LCC == carbon footprint
- Klopffer & Remmer 2007: LCSA = LCA + LCC + SLCA
- Zamagni 209, Guienee 2011 expanded on above
- Broadening of impacts based on Triple Bottom Line
Present, literature search
- 23/30 broadening impacts
- 11/30 broading analysis
- 10/30 deepening
- Broadening of impacts: Proper qualitative and practical SLCA indicators
- Broadening level of analysis: Scenarios, emerging technology systems, products, futures
- Deepending: Dealing with uncertainties and rebound effects
Modes of LCA / LCSA:
- Decision or Dynamic