2016/07/28 12:10 David Rousseau, “Systems Philosophy and the prospects for employing scientific general systems principles as the foundation of a systems worldview”, ISSS 2016 Boulder
Plenary @ISSSMeeting @Person, Keynote #isss2016USA, 60th Annual Meeting of the International Society for the Systems Sciences and 1st Policy Congress of ISSS, Boulder, Colorado, USA
Day 4 theme: Systems Theory, Management, and Practice
Plenary VIII: Prospects for Scientific Systemic Synthesis
- Description: Recent times have seen the emergence of new theoretical insights that may help to establish the frameworks, theories and methodologies we need to understand, design, build, explain, communicate about, utilize or operate, maintain, and evolve resilient and sustainable socio-ecological systems. In this panel we bring together experts to present on such emerging developments in the areas of engineering, science, research, practice and philosophy, and to reflect on how these different stands can contribute to the formation of a new systemic synthesis that will make the ‘whole systems perspective’ scientific and practical. The panel presentations will be delivered in the last plenary before lunch, and be followed by an open discussion between the panellists and audience in a break-out session immediately after lunch.
Chair: David Rousseau, Centre for Systems Philosophy
This digest was created in real-time during the meeting, based on the speaker’s presentation(s) and comments from the audience. The content should not be viewed as an official transcript of the meeting, but only as an interpretation by a single individual. Lapses, grammatical errors, and typing mistakes may not have been corrected. Questions about content should be directed to the originator. The digest has been made available for purposes of scholarship, posted on the Coevolving Innovations web site by David Ing.
David Rousseau, Centre for Systems Philosophy
Cumulative development of systems, across system
- Developing and refining knowledge of systems
Would like to create a vision of GST
Science tries to answer 6 questions
- Easier to make progress on later if do earlier first
Cumulative development of knowledge
- First describe
- The machine models
- Then evolution-devolution models
- Finally, value systems
Articles from systems medicine and systems biology
- If we could figure out the progress, would help with these
Invitation to continuing discussion over lunch
Connections, tensions, similarities? Where’s my audience for the integrated systems view, e.g. in natural science, or for engineers. Needs, characteristics to see potential?
- Len coined discinyms, disciplinary synonyms
- Have to overcome this, speaking the same language
- Research agenda for systemology
- Have made a start with that
- Research agenda was produced as a list of questions
Key terms, seeing over and over. Structure, patterns, purposes …. Agree on the same set for systems scientists. Please hurry up.
- Ontology for systems science.
Normalizing the systems theory in political senses. Statistics, show information, yet also hide due to linearity. Real objective function isn’t more refinement, but normalize the decision-making process. Closest in EU.
- Parallel project in IFSR led by Mary Edson on Systems Research
- From doing the research, through to the people using it
- Started this in IFSR Conversation 2016 in Linz
- [Troncale] INCOSE chapter in San Diego, impact of systems science on legislation, government and policy