2016/07/29 11:10 Peter Tuddenham, “Systems Literacy”, ISSS 2016 Boulder
Plenary @ISSSMeeting @peterdtuddenham, Keynote #isss2016USA, 60th Annual Meeting of the International Society for the Systems Sciences and 1st Policy Congress of ISSS, Boulder, Colorado, USA
Day 5 theme: Education, Communication, and Capacity
Plenary X: Systems Literacy Education and Outreach
- Description: Achieving sustainable and more synergistic futures requires education in systems thinking and connection with new modes of social communication. Our highest priority should be to legitimize whole systems research and to provide adequate guidance to student/expert collaborative learning within a program of Systems Literacy. How do we ‘train the trainers’ and launch this program?
Chair: Peter Tuddenham, College of Exploration
This digest was created in real-time during the meeting, based on the speaker’s presentation(s) and comments from the audience. The content should not be viewed as an official transcript of the meeting, but only as an interpretation by a single individual. Lapses, grammatical errors, and typing mistakes may not have been corrected. Questions about content should be directed to the originator. The digest has been made available for purposes of scholarship, posted on the Coevolving Innovations web site by David Ing.
Presentation by Peter Tuddenham
Had a passion on Ocean Literacy, to get learning about oceans into schools
Systems literacy grounded in the natural sciences, and our own wholeness
A start on systems literacy
- An understanding of a system’s influence on you, and your influence on a system
Ocean literacy produced 7 principles
- Tells a story in itself
Essential principles of systems (sciences)
- 1. One … whole
- 2. Shape, form, whole
- 3. Major influence on …
- 4. Systems make our life … Patterns, flows, cycles
- 5. Systems are divse ..
- 6. Systems … humans
- 7. More to learn, explore, understand
Stumbled into this in Berlin, brought Ocean Literacy principles
U.S. next generation science standards, influenced by Ocean Literacy work
- Want NSF to know that systems sciences people have act together
Matrix of Crosscutting Concepts in NGSS
Started journey with Open University Systems Behaviour course
Living Systems Symbols from Ilan Riss (based on Living Systems work from James Grier Miller)
- System sensibilities and system sensitivities
Two videos on Vimeo
- Ocean Literacy video from U.S., signed with Canada and UK
- EU project on Ocean Literacy, now in action, funded with 6M EUR (Sea Change, Increasing Ocean Literacy)
Assignment of questions for a conversation
- At IFSR, had a session on systems literarcy
Problem is consciousness, experience. Don’t appreciate that we aren’t separated from the whole.
Literacy, metaphors, applications. Ontology and literacy. Responsible mapping beween us and ocean.
Brain science, natural ability to perceive in a systems way.
[… long dialogue …]