Embarassed that friends flying to Canada on passports…

Embarassed that friends flying to Canada on passports from Finland and Australia would require eTA electronic Travel Authorization after leniency period ends November 9, 2016 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp .

This bureaucracy is the result of the “Perimeter security and economic competitiveness – action plan” signed by Prime Minister Harper and President Obama in 2011. Agreement between U.S. Homeland Security and Canada Border Services Agency shares biographic entry data, but not biometric information (i.e. fingerprints). http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/btb-pdf/loi-ldi-eng.html .

Tried out the “Apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)” at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-start.asp , and got October 2016 response:

No eTA required


Based on your answers, for the purpose of your current travel, you do not need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to visit Canada.

However, make sure to carry proper travel documents and identification for yourself and any children travelling with you.
Application for an eTA